Running Hi-Lo

10.23.2011


Welp, I have officially been a runner for 3 weeks (probably not even long enough to make it official, but oh well!), and I have to say it has been a roller coaster with many highs and a few lows. Let's just start off by saying that I never, ever thought that I could run. I've was an athlete through my high school years and was active daily, but softball never required too much long distance running. My mom and I have power-walked together for as long as I can remember. But every time I tried to run, I felt like I was having a heart attack after half a mile! I chalked it up to just not being a "runner." But, Kyle and I put running a 5K together on our 30 before 30 list, and he got really into running this past year, so I decided to give it a try. And, it turns out, I actually REALLY enjoyed it. And not only did I enjoy it, but I actually was doing pretty well for being a rookie. Kyle was super proud of me, and it was contagious. I was super proud of myself. You feel so good after doing it, and it's such a great stress reliever! School has been super stressful these past few weeks, and I've been walking around with a big stress-ball in my chest, but every time I would run, everything seemed better and my body would relax. That's the good news about running.  But, the bad news is that for some reason, every time I run after about 2.5 miles, my right foot goes numb. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. And obviously you can't keep going with a dead foot, which is super frustrating because my body felt like it could keep going. I had hit my groove but my stinkin' foot was dragging me down. I did some research online and tried a few tips, like changing shoes, loosening my shoe-laces, etc but it hasn't helped. I mentioned it to my doctor this week while I was getting my poison ivy checked out (another fun side-effect of running...whoops!) and he definitely seemed to think that this didn't sound right and that if it didn't stop soon I'd need to get it checked out. So that's where I am today. Loving running but scared of what's going on with my body and worried that it might cause me to have to quit before I even really got started. At least I know I can do it...now if that right foot of mine would just get on board!

1 comment :

  1. Love the post. So proud of you. I need my life back from Marching Band season so I can join back up! And I LOVE the new bloggy design!! Get it Lu!

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs