Kyle and I just returned from a little second honey-moon. It may have been just a few hours down the road to Charlotte, but any place can be exciting when you're... a) with your hubby b) staying in a super nice hotel for free c) eating 2 super delicious breakfasts & 1 really expensive dinner for free and d) celebrating your 1st anniversary!
So, I thought I'd share some insider tips on how to have a great 1st anniversary weekend.
1. If you're driving, make sure you DO have a super amazing GPS. With that being said, make sure that your hubby actually listens to the GPS so that you can avoid the multiple recalculations of routes. And, I swear, our GPS persons voice sounds more than slightly agitated when she recalculates!
2. DO stop in and see one of your high school besties for a quick bite on your way into town and to get lots of suggestions for good eats around the city! (Thanks, Becca!) *Note to self...remember to take picture to document said encounter*
3. DO indulge your hubby in a cheesy Diet Pepsi toast while checking out the view from the hotel!
4. DO treat yourselves to a nice couples massage
5. DON'T schedule the couples massage before 11 or shower beforehand. Who know they rub your face and head with lotion. I left looking a hot a mess!
6. DO check out the location of things before hopping in the car to drive there. You might just find that the restaurant is right around the corner, aka, in walking distance from your hotel. This could help you avoid paying a $6 parking fee on top of the $12 one you were already paying to park all day at your hotel!
7. If you're in Charlotte, DO eat at Vida for the best Mexican food ever. Hello best salsa ever made!
8. DON'T freak out if it storms horribly with threats of tornados all day long. So what if your hotel is in the perfect location for walking everywhere in uptown Charlotte. Driving is fun too, right!?
9. DO visit Ikea. It will be life-changing. Enough said! (Sidenote...it was a small miracle that we managed to make it out of there for under $100!)
10. Again, if you're in Charlotte, DO eat at the Harvest Moon restaurant for dinner. Especially if you have a $75 gift certificate to eat there, in which case you should order 2 glasses of wine, an appetizer, 2 meals, and 2 desserts (and a diet coke!). This will put you only $2 over, which will be the best $2 you spend for food in your life!
11. DO read or re-read all of your post-cards (or sweet messages from your wedding guests) that you saved for your anniversary. You might stumble upon some gems of advice!
12. DO treat yourself to a nice dinner the night of. It's okay if this time you have to pay because you already got one, free, nice meal!
13. DO get someone to take your picture. Trust me, you will want to remember this day even if your hubby is rethinking that marriage because he's embarrassed to trouble someone with taking our picture!
14. DON'T forget about eating the top layer of your cake! You may have heard that it won't taste good, but you should try it anyways. You might get lucky like us and the cake will taste just as good!
15. DO take a moment to remember your special day and all of the great things from your first year of marriage!